Professor, Dr. Philos. , University of Oslo, Norway
Born in1943, Oslo, Norway.
• MA in musicology, 1969, University of
Oslo. Theme of MA-dissertation: “The development
of a Russian idiom in music, discussed from the
viewpoint of Michail Glinka’s songs”.
• PhD in musicology, 1981, University of
Oslo. Title of PhD-dissertation: “Children’s
spontaneous singing – our musical mother
tongue”. This was the first PhD study in
the world of song communication within the context
of child cultures.
• Professor at the Department of Musicology,
University of Oslo, since 1970.
• Senior professor, same place, from 1982.
• Visiting professor at the University of
California, Irvine, 1986-87 and 1996-97.
• Norwegian Council of Child Research –
member of the Board for eight years.
• Norwegian Council of Culture – member
of the Child Culture Committee for ten years.
• Several positions at the Humanistic Faculty,
University of Oslo. Former head of the Department
of Musicology, same place.
• Member of the Norwegian Academy of Science
and Arts since 1992.
• Award for outstanding research presentation,
University of Oslo, 1996.
• Alice Tegnér cultural award, Sweden,
• The Children’s Own Songbook, Oslo
1979. This songbook has become a bestseller in
Norway, with over 130.000 copies sold so far.
The book is based on original material from the
PhD study on spontaneous musical child cultures.
• The Spontaneous Singing of Children –
Our Musical Mother Tongue, Oslo 1985.
• Composer and Society – Hanns Eisler’s
Music in the Light of Life and Writings, Schönberg
and Brecht, Oslo 1985.
• From Acropolis to Hollywood – Film
Music in the Light of Rhetoric, Oslo 1988.
• The Muse Within – Creativity and
Communication, Song and Play from Childhood through
Maturity, Oslo 1989. Bestseller, seven editions.
Extended edidtion published in 2005. Translated
into Swedish (1991, 2. and 3. edition 1994, 1998),
Danish (1992, 2. edition 1998), American (1992),
Dutch (1993), Norwegian sound edition for blind
people (1994), Chinese (1997), Japanese (1999),
Russian (2000), Serbian edition in press.
• Song of the Turtle, Oslo 1998. Translated
into Swedish (1998), Danish (2003) and American
• "We are the thousands..." -
Norwegian music stories, Oslo 2003.
• When the Moment Sings – The Muse
Within – With Africa in the Mirror, Oslo
1996. Translated into English, French, Spanish